For those of you who haven't heard or have and have been waiting here are the pictures and story. Monday morning Malia woke up with a mosquito bite. That night there was about a 2 inch red circle around it. My girls have such sensitive skin that I didn't think anything of it. Our friend Howard was in town so we went to dinner with him Tuesday night. The girls fell asleep on the way home so I carried Malia in and put on her pajamas. That is when I noticed her leg. She never once complained about it other than to say that it itched. The doctors said that she opened the bite by scratching it and it got infected. It turned to Cellulitis (SP?) and they admitted her into the hospital Tuesday night. They put in an IV and pumped 2 different kinds of antibiotics into her for the next 36 hours. She responded better than they were hoping to the medication. She was released Thursday morning and is doing very well. This is Malia in her hospital bed. Thursday the doctor came in and asked her if she was ready to go home and she said no. She said "I like it here." Then they came to take out her IV and she looked and me and said "Mom, I don't like it here anymore. Can we go home now." I can't say that I blame her for wanting to stay though. She got stuffed animals, balloons, watched cartoons and colored all day.
This is a picture of her leg about 18 hours after we got to the hospital. I didn't get a picture of her leg in the beginning. The swelling her has reduced by about half and the redness had subsided immensely. It still gives you a good idea of how swollen her leg was though.
This is a picture of the bite. The pen mark is the area that was infected the worse, so thus watched the closest. The red around the bite was the color of the whole circled area and the red you see was a purple color. The circle is just the area they were concerned was going to form pockets of infection that they would have to surgically drain. The infection extended from the top of her knee to the bottom of her ankle. The circled area extends over the other side of her leg. The only place that it hadn't spread to was the bottom of her calf. Thank you for all your love and support!
Friday, October 3, 2008
Malia's leg
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
I am so glad that everything is ok now. I'm sure it was scarey! Take care and I'm glad the girls are on the mend.
That is so scary. I know how you feel Jaysa has done the same thing a couple of times but when she gets bit I keep a close eye on it. She is so allergic to those. I am glad to see that she is doing better.
Such a relief to have her on the mend and home again. I bet she was happy to sleep in her own bed minus the IV. Thanks for the update!
Oh my goodness! I'm glad to hear that she is better. How scary! It's a good thing you noticed it when you did.
Well I'm glad that you have a blog so that I can READ what is going on with your kids. (just kidding) That is just so crazy. I am glad that you caught it and that she is doing better. Poor Abigail, I bet she didn't even really cry cuz she is the 3rd child, the 3rd child is always the toughest.
Scary! I'm sorry that you had to go through that! What a trooper and I'm glad she's doing better.
HOLY COW! That is scary! Good thing you noticed when you did! She is so cute in that big hospital bed! I don't blame her for not wanting to go home. Sounds like she was in heaven :) I want to lay in bed and color all day!
Abigail is so cute! I LOVE that name :)
Post a Comment